Tile Glossary – T-Z
- Terra cotta.
- Hard baked clayware, including tile, of variable color, averaging reddish
red-yellow in hue and of high saturation.
- A term used to describe the bonding of tile with suitable materials
applied approximately 1/8 inch thick.
- Tile cutter.
- The tile cutter is one of the most efficient and economic tools in the
tile setting trade. A popular model is the hand-drawn tile cutting board that
- Tile nipper.
- Special pliers that nibble away little bites of ceramic tile to create
small, irregular or curved cuts.
- An application of a relatively thin layer of mortar primarily used to
level out-of-plane surfaces such as concrete slabs.
- Unglazed tile.
- A hard, dense tile of homogeneous composition throughout, deriving color
and texture from the materials of which the body is made. The colors and
characteristics of the tile are determined by the materials used in the body,
the method of manufacture, and the thermal treatment.
- Vapor Barrier.
- Waterproof membrane placed under concrete floor slabs that are placed on a
- 0.5 percent to 3 percent water absorption.
- Wall tile.
- A glazed tile with a body that is suitable for interior use and which is
usually non-vitreous, and is not required nor expected to withstand excessive
- Waterproof membrane.
- A membrane, usually made of built-up roofing, to provide a positive
waterproof floor over the substrate, which is to receive a tile installation
using a wire reinforced mortar bed.
- Opening at the base of a shower drain to collect moisture collected above
membrane and dispense it into drain.
- Wet area.
- Interior or exterior tiled areas subject to periodic or constant wetting.
Examples: showers, sunken tubs, pools, exterior walls, roofs, exterior paving
and interior floors.
- Wood float.
- The wood float is sometimes used in place of the flat trowel for floating
mortar. It is good for smoothing small irregularities left on the mortar bed,
working the surface of the mortar before troweling on the pure coat, or
compacting floor and deck mortar.
My tiling service areas include Port St. Lucie (PSL), Fort Pierce, Stuart and Vero Beach, FL.
In St. Lucie County Boyer Tile LLC. services Port St. Lucie, St. Lucie West, Tradition, Torino, Tesoro, Lake Charles, Lake Forest, Magnolia Lakes, PGA Village, The Vineyards, St James Golf Club, The Cascades, and Fort Pierce, FL.
Port St. Lucie Marble and Tile Contractor.
Mobile: (772) 828-8909.
Skype: (772) 828-8909.