Tiling Contractors Glossary.
- Substance which markedly speeds up the cure of an adhesive when added in minor quantity as compared to the amounts of primary reactants.
- Caulking Compound.
- A soft, plastic material consisting of pigment and vehicle, used for sealing joints in buildings and other structures where normal structural movement may occur. Caulking compound retains its plasticity for an extended period after application. It is available in forms suitable for application by gun and knife and in extruded preformed shapes.
- Ceiling mortar.
- Extra-rich wall mortar.
- Usually refers to portland cement which when mixed with sand, gravel, and water forms concrete. Generally, cement is an adhesive; specifically, it is that type of adhesive which sets by virtue of a chemical reaction.
- Ceramic tile.
- A ceramic surfacing unit, usually relatively thin in relation to facial area, made from clay or a mixture or clay; and other ceramic material, called the body of the tile, having either a “glazed” or “unglazed” face, and fired about red heat in the course of manufacture to a temperature sufficiently high to produce specific physical properties and characteristics.
- Colored grout.
- Commercially prepared grout consisting of carefully graded aggregate, Portland cement, water dispersing agents, plasticizers and color fast pigments.
- Composition tile.
- A hard tile surfacing unit made from a mixture of chemicals. The finished surface can be the mixture of chemicals or can be marble chips to create a terrazzo finish. The unit is made hard by the set of the chemicals and the product is not fired as in the manufacture of ceramic tile.
- A composite material which consists essentially of a binding medium within which are embedded particles or fragments of aggregate; in portland cement concrete, the binder is a mixture of Portland cement and water.
- A trim tile having a concave radius on one edge and a convex radius with a flat landing on the opposite edge. This base often is used as the only course of tile above the floor tile.
- The cracking which occurs in fired glazes or other ceramic coatings due to critical tensile stresses.
- Cure time.
- The time required to produce vulcanization of hydration at a given temperature. The cure time varies widely, being dependent on the type of compounding used, the thickness of the product, etc.
- Maintenance of humidity and temperature of freshly placed concrete during some definite period following placing, casting, or finishing to assure satisfactory hydration of the cementitious materials and proper hardening of the concrete.
- Cushion-edged tile.
- Tile on which the facial edges have a distinct curvature that results in a slightly recessed joint.
Would you like a complimentary…no obligation …project consultation? Please feel free to call for more details.
Boyer Tile LLC.
Mobile: 772 828-8909.
Florida License – psl13-6160.
For a Quality Craftsmanship, call Boyer Tile.
Master Tile Setter and St. Lucie County Florida based Tiling Contractor.
My tiling service areas include Port St. Lucie (PSL), Fort Pierce, Stuart and Vero Beach, FL.
In Martin County, Boyer Tile LLC. services Hobe Sound, Indiantown, Jensen Beach, Jupiter Island, North River Shores, Ocean Breeze Park, Palm City, Port Salerno, Rio, Sewalls Point and Stuart, Florida.
In St. Lucie County Boyer Tile LLC. services Port St. Lucie, St. Lucie West, Tradition, Torino, Tesoro, Lake Charles, Lake Forest, Magnolia Lakes, PGA Village, The Vineyards, St James Golf Club, The Cascades, and Fort Pierce, FL.