Tiling Contractors Glossary
- Paper and wire.
- Tar paper and wire mesh (or metal lath) that are used as a backing for the installation of tile.
- Paper mounted ceramic mosaics.
- Ceramic mosaic tiles mounted on paper. Paper is applied to face of tile in sheets approximately twelve (12) inches wide, twenty-four (24) inches long.
- Unglazed porcelain or natural clay tile formed by the dust-pressed method and similar to ceramic mosaics in composition and physical properties but relatively thicker with 6 inch square or more facial area.
- The quality or condition of allowing passage of liquids or gasses through a rubber layer.
- A material that increases plasticity of a cement paste, mortar, or concrete mixture.
- Pointing trowel.
- The pointing trowel or pointer is probably the most essential tool in the trade. It comes in sizes ranging from 4 to 6 inches in length, but the 6 inch trowel is the most popular. The tile setter uses this trowel in every phase of the work, especially for straightening tiles on walls and floors, marking floated surfaces, filling small depressions on float coats, buttering tiles and trim work, and placing mortar in areas that are too small the flat trowel. The butt of the handle is used for tapping in tiles that are not on a true plane with the rest of the tile work. The trowel’s flat working surface must be protected. The tile setter should not use it to pry or chop hardened materials such as concrete or plaster.
- A glazed or unglazed vitreous ceramic whiteware used for technical purposes. This term designates such products as electrical, chemical, mechanical, structural, and thermal wares when they are vitreous.
- Porcelain process.
- The method of producing glazed ware by which a ceramic body and glaze are matured together in the same firing operation.
- Porosity, apparent.
- The relationship of the open pore space to the bulk volume, expressed in percent.
- Pot life.
- The period of time during which a material maintains its workable properties after it has been mixed.
- The term used to describe mortar that has been placed and allowed to harden prior to bonding tile to it with thin-set materials.
- Rubber trowel
Would you like a complimentary…no obligation …project consultation? Please feel free to call for more details.
Boyer Tile LLC.
Mobile: 772 828-8909.
Florida License – psl13-6160.
For a Quality Craftsmanship, call Boyer Tile.
Master Tile Setter and St. Lucie County Florida based Tiling Contractor.
My tiling service areas include Port St. Lucie (PSL), Fort Pierce, Stuart and Vero Beach, FL.
In Martin County, Boyer Tile LLC. services Hobe Sound, Indiantown, Jensen Beach, Jupiter Island, North River Shores, Ocean Breeze Park, Palm City, Port Salerno, Rio, Sewalls Point and Stuart, Florida.
In St. Lucie County Boyer Tile LLC. services Port St. Lucie, St. Lucie West, Tradition, Torino, Tesoro, Lake Charles, Lake Forest, Magnolia Lakes, PGA Village, The Vineyards, St James Golf Club, The Cascades, and Fort Pierce, FL.